The American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine (ABEM) is pleased to announce that in the coming months, it will be offering a Neuromuscular Ultrasound Certificate of Added Qualification (NM US CAQ) as an additional certification available to ABEM certified physicians. ABEM will be the first certifying organization to offer this CAQ.
“I am excited about the initiative ABEM has taken to establish a certificate of added qualification (CAQ) for neuromuscular ultrasound,” said Michael S. Cartwright, MD, and chair of the ABEM’S NM US CAQ committee. “Neuromuscular ultrasound is an important complement to electrodiagnostic testing and has a growing presence in electrodiagnostic laboratories worldwide. As more training programs incorporate neuromuscular ultrasound, use of this powerful diagnostic tool will continue to grow. By obtaining this CAQ, physicians can demonstrate their knowledge and skill in this technique.”
Please note that the ABEM’s NM US CAQ is not yet available. The first exam will be offered in the next 9-18 months.
In order to be eligible for the upcoming NM US CAQ, physicians must have an active ABEM certification
Candidates must meet eligibility requirements for the year in which the examination is taken, regardless of prior approval. Eligibility does not automatically carry over from year to year.
- Hold a valid, unrestricted license to practice medicine.
- Be board certified by either the ABPN, ABPMR, AOPN, AOPMR or the Canadian equivalent.
- Be board certified by ABEM.
- Have conducted and/or interpreted 150 neuromuscular ultrasound examinations on suitable patients over the past 36 months, with 15 or fewer being for needle guidance.
- The NM US CAQ will be a one-time exam. Once a physician obtains this CAQ, no maintenance of certification will be required.
- Primary ABEM certification must be maintained in order to maintain the CAQ.
- As noted above, the NM US CAQ Exam is not yet available. The first exam will be offered in the next 9-18 months.
- No further details are available at this time; planning for this exam is still underway.
If you are interested in taking the NM US CAQ Exam, please complete an Interest Form
If you have any questions, please contact the ABEM office at 507.288.0100 or via email