All CNCTs are required to participate in the ABEM’s Technologist Maintenance of Certification Program (TMOCP) to maintain their knowledge and skills related to the performance of nerve conduction studies. It is important to the patients and your employer that you continue to be qualified to perform the studies. The ABEM has simplified the requirements for maintenance of certification to make it easy to complete. Beginning in 2016, technologists who pass the initial examination will be required to complete 5 AANEM Checkpoints by the end of their 5 year cycle.
To check your progress toward meeting this requirement for your current cycle, visit the My TMOCP
page. After you complete your current requirements in your current 5-year cycle, you will automatically be enrolled in a new 5-year cycle and simply need to complete 5 Checkpoints over the 5 year term. Dates will update once the current cycle end date has been reached.
If you let your original certificate expire, the ABEM website will show your certificate has expired. Once you complete your 5 Checkpoints your certification will be reinstated but the ABEM website will show a lapse in your certification.
Advantages to this new program include:
- It’s easy to know what is needed to complete the program
- You don’t have to study for an examination and wait for the results
- There is no tracking/reporting needed – ABEM tracks for you
- You don’t have to count CEUs – there is not CEU requirement
- There is no risk that the CUEs you completed will be found inappropriate for credit
- No need to travel to any meetings and document attendance
- You can complete the program at your own speed
- There will be multiple options available in the future to complete the program